Tuesday, February 20, 2007

ferrero noggy (Puerto Rico)

One of my friends brought this back for me on a recent visit to Puerto Rico. Really, how many hazelnut-based chocolate candies can Ferrero come up with? I think I remember reading something about this a while back on Candyblog. Seriously though, a dozen chocolate / hazelnut candy combinations is enough, isn't it? Anyhow, let's get on with this review.

Unlike most Ferrero package designs, this one didn't really impress me. Maybe it's just me, but the design of the package usually "adds" to the virtual flavor of the chocolate by enhancing the entire experience. Upon opening the wrapper, five individually wrapped Whopper-sized spheres rolled out onto my desktop. The milky chocolate looked a bit cheap, like what you would expect from a bag of chocolate eggs during Easter. A few specks of hazelnut scattered the surface of the chocolate. The chocolate smelled quite sweet and nothing what I would normally expect from a Ferrero chocolate. Ahh... Now I understood why the chocolate looked and smelled differently. It wasn't chocolate at all, but a chocolate candy coating, a la M&M's or Smarties. The inside was filled with pieces of compressed chocolate and hazelnuts.

I think the Noggy doesn't really live up to the chocolate quality that I've come to expect from Ferrero products. The chocolate tasted cheap, the candy shell ruined the flavors contained inside and I think there the ratio of nuts to chocolate was too high. While this one may be a novelty to eat every now and again, I would recommend others spend their money on a Rocher.

Ferrero Noggy

Size: 21g Calories: 110 Fat: 6g Carbohydrates: 13g

1 comment:

lucaq said...

I guess Noggy was started by Ferrero Ecuador in 1992, so that might be why it does not live up to your expectations... it was developed for the third world. When I lived in Ecuador I would eat these all of the time and I actually have some that I brought back.