Monday, April 2, 2007

olza prince polo (Poland)

Here's a new one. I'll give you a little background info on this bar from its wiki...

Prince Polo is a Polish chocolate bar. It is sold in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary under the name Siesta, and is popular in Iceland (as Prins Póló), where for many years it was one of the few chocolate bars available. It has long been Poland's top-selling candy brand, but in recent years the similar Princessa brand (manufactured by Nestle) has achieved similar popularity.

Prince Polo was introduced in the early 1950s, during the early years of the Polish People's Republic, by Olza SA in Cieszyn. It is a chocolate-covered wafer, with four layers of wafer joined by three layers of chocolate-flavored filling; it was easily identifiable by its metallic gold-colored wrapper.

I found this bar in the foreign foods section of our local supermarket. The picture on the metallic green wrapper made me wonder if this is a monogatari (see previous post) mint flavored chocolate. The bar felt very light in weight and I was quite eager to rip into it.

As I took my first bite, I realized that I couldn't really place the flavor, but enjoyed the treat nevertheless. It definitely wasn't mint, but reminded of a peanut-like flavor. The wafer was very thin, light and crispy and the chocolate was fresh and left a slightly bitter aftertaste. Apparently this is the most popular chocolate bar in Poland and I can understand why. Though this one might be a bit harder to get your hands on, I would recommend you to try it if possible. It's not my nearly my favorite, but it's not too shabby either.

Olza Prince Polo (Poland)
Size: 38g Calories: 200 Fat: ? Carbohydrate: ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Valerie,
Prince Polos are fantastic, you are right the flavor is nut, hazelnut. Prince Polos are available in the US in three flavors--hazelnut (the green wrapper), coconut(the blue wrapper--covered in white chocolate) and regular (the gold wrapper--tastes more like a kit kat, but better in my opinion :). If you are lucky enough to go to Poland or happen to by in NYC you need to try the blue wrapper Prince Polo as it is coconut, but wrapped in milk chocolate instead of white! My other recommendation would be that if you are in NYC you should go to Slodycze Wedel--a Polish chocolate store in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. We Poles adore wafers in chocolate. . . there are quite a few varieties. Slodycze Wedel has quite a few to try from including the milk chocolate blue Prince Polo, torcik wedlowski (hazelnut wafer covered in thick dark chocolate, good, but the dark chocolate, IMHO, overpowers), King Polo and a few others. The sad thing is that Kraft took over Wedel and changed it a bit, but it's still great!